Strategic outline case for new primary school approved

Image of a boy wearing a hard helmet sitting down playing with a crane and blocks

22 December 2020

Image of a boy wearing a hard helmet sitting down playing with a crane and blocksA new £12.9m replacement primary school in north Powys have moved a step closer after exciting plans submitted by the county council were approved by the Welsh Government.

Powys County Council's Strategic Outline Case (SOC) for a new 270-place primary school in Newtown has been approved by the Minister for Education Kirsty Williams.

The council will now progress to the Outline Business Case (OBC) stage of the project.

The investment plans will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitious 10-year strategy that was approved earlier this year (April).

The new school will replace the current buildings of Hafren Junior School and Ladywell Green Infant School, which are merging to create a new all-through primary school.  The new school, Ysgol Calon y Dderwen, will open in September 2021.

The new build is also an integral part of the North Powys Wellbeing programme - a once in a generation opportunity to improve health and wellbeing across north Powys - which could see a multi-agency wellbeing campus developed alongside the new school, delivering a range of health and social care services together on one site.

The Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Programme will fund 65% of the £12.9m school with the remaining 35% funded by the council.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "I'm delighted that our Strategic Outline Case for the new primary school in Newtown has been approved by the Welsh Government. This represents another huge investment in our school infrastructure.

"The existing school buildings are not suitable to meet the needs of a 21st Century curriculum or meet the well-being needs of pupils.

"As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities. We believe that our plans for the new primary school in Newtown not only show this commitment but we will be providing facilities that the children deserve."

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon

Print

Print icon