Host announced for county's prestigious awards evening
|18th September 2017|
The host for the Powys Business Awards ceremony being held on Friday, October 6th has been announced as TV's favourite spoof opera star Wynne Evans.
Wynne Evans is one of the UK's leading tenors, having performed as a principal with all of the major opera houses and orchestras, including Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Welsh National Opera and English National Opera.
His vast concert and recital repertoire has included collaborations with many of the nation's première ensembles, including The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra and London Symphony Orchestra.
In 2009 Wynne became the face and voice of the multi million pound advertising campaign for one of the UK's leading comparison website GoCompare.com, playing the flamboyant character Gio Compario.
Wynne has gone on to make dozens of adverts for GoCompare.com both on Radio and TV and this campaign is one of the most successful ever. Wynne signed a six album deal with Warner Bros. and his first album 'A Song in My Heart' went straight to number one in the classical charts, where it remained for seven weeks.
Wynne presents a daily programme on BBC Radio Wales and frequently presents programmes and, indeed, series for BBC 1 Wales, BBC2 Wales and S4C.
Businesses from across the breadth of Powys from Ystradgynlais in the south to Llansantffraid in the north will be present at the Hafren in Newtown for the awards evening which will see 12 awards presented including the Judges Award and Powys Business of the Year.
The finalists are as follows:
Start-up Business Award sponsored by The County Times
• AL Technical, Newtown
• Soccerholics R Us, Meifod, Welshpool
• Turvec Solutions, Berriew
Outstanding Apprentice Award sponsored by FSB
• Lucas Evans, Charcroft Electronics, Llanwrtyd Wells,
• Matt Price, Compact Orbital Gears, Rhayader
• Danny Foulkes, EvaBuild, Newtown
• Goodhand Glass House, Craig-y-Nos
• Hayley Hanson Hide, Brecon
• Nick Sanders Expedition Centre, Machynlleth
Growth Award sponsored by Finance Wales
• Radnor Hills Mineral Water, Knighton
• Station Couriers, Newtown
• SWG Construction (Build & Renovate), Welshpool
Excellence in Quality Management Award sponsored by Myrick Training
• Plant I, Machynlleth
• Promotional Handling, Welshpool
• Trax JH, Newtown
International Trade Award sponsored by Lanyon Bowdler Solicitors
• Motif Creative, Newtown
• Newmor, Welshpool
• Trax JH, Newtown
Small Business (Under 30 Employees) Award sponsored by NPTC Group
• EvaBuild, Newtown
• McCartneys LLP, Welshpool
• Northern Industrial Battery Services, Four Crosses
Social Enterprise/ Charity Award sponsored by Mid Wales Housing Association Ltd
• Calan Domestic Violence Services, Brecon
• Powys Dance, Llandrindod Wells
• Robert Owen Community Banking Fund, Newtown
Excellence in Environmental Management Award sponsored by Griffiths
• Camp Cynrig Glamping Village, Brecon
• Gregynog Hall, Tregynon
• Llangoed Hall, Brecon
Micro Business (Under 10 Employees) Award sponsored by The Cambrian News & Brecon & Radnor Express
• Bryn Tanat Hall, Llansantffraid
• Classy Curtains, Ystradgynlais
• Varleys of Newtown, Newtown
The Judges Award is sponsored by Mid Wales Manufacturing Group and the Powys Business of the Year is sponsored by Powys County Council.