Toggle mobile menu visibility

Fuel Support Scheme 2022/23

In order to assist households on low incomes, Welsh Government has introduced a Fuel Support Scheme for 2022.

This scheme is open from 26th September 2022

If you are eligible for the grant and we tell you to apply then you must do so by 5pm on Tuesday 28 February 2023. 
 We cannot accept applications after that date

We will not be making automatic awards but we hope to process the claims quickly for those where we can see an eligible entitlement to benefit in our systems already.

Any households getting a low income benefit may be entitled to a one-off payment of £200 from Powys Council to provide some support towards paying fuel bills.

In addition to this:

Some households getting certain low income benefit may be entitled to a further one-off payment of £150 from Powys Council if they are responsible for paying off-grid heating fuel bills.

Please Note: You only need to apply once for both schemes below. We will work out from the information you give us when you apply if you can are allowed to have the additional payment or not and will tell you in your award notification.

What Is Low Income?

To get this grant you or your partner must getting one of the following benefitson any one day between 1 September 2022 and 31 January 2023:

  • Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS)
  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carers Allowance including anyone on underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance but who don't receive any money due to the overlapping benefit rules
  • Contributory Based/New Style Jobseekers Allowance
  • Contributory Based/New Style Employment and Support Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

OR you are also eligible if a dependent child or adult dependant (or their partner) lives in your household AND on any one day between 1 September 2022 and 31 January 2023, they receive one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

What Fuel Types are Eligible?

Please note it doesn't matter how you pay for your fuel nor does it matter if it is on grid or off grid.

You are considered to have an eligible fuel type if:

You are liable for Council Tax


You are paying the energy bills in your home.

The property you claim for must be your sole or primary (main) residence

You can only claim once for the property

What Is The Application Process?

Everyone in receipt of Council Tax Reduction Scheme or has received a payment under the Unpaid Carers Grant scheme, we will contact you to invite you to apply for this grant. We will then be able to process many of these quickly.

If you don't receive Council Tax Reduction or didn't get the Unpaid Carers grant, then we won't be able to contact you directly and you need to apply without a letter for us.

If you are successful:

Payments will be made as soon as possible and up to March 2023.

We will contact you by email to let you know a payment is on the way.

If you are not successful:

Your application will be refused if you do not meet the eligibility criteria. You cannot appeal or ask for a review of your application. We will let you know why you didn't get the award. We may be able to still help you if information was wrong or missing from your application. 

Information or evidence you need to have ready:

You will need to have ready the following in your household:

  • Your National Insurance Number(s)
  • Your Dates of Birth
  • Your Council Tax Reduction Scheme Claim reference number (if you receive this)
  • Your fuel provider name and reference number
  • Your Council Tax reference number (if you have one)
  • If you don't pay Council Tax at the property and you pay for your fuel via a bill, a copy of your most recent energy bill or invoice to upload (as a PDF document)
  • If you don't pay Council Tax at the property AND have a prepayment meter then you will need to send your most recent email confirmation of a recent prepayment top up and a scanned copy or photo of a Pay point receipt/similar of a recent prepayment top up or a standard meter device app or online account dashboard.

Apply here for both schemes.

Apply here coming soon


If you need help to apply or support around grant advice or benefit or awards support generally please call us on 01597 826345.