NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Local Studies and Research Service

All Powys Libraries have a certain amount of local interest material as well as free access to Ancestry and Find My Past websites.

For more in-depth research:

There is more available in the Powys Archives Office which holds the Archives and Local Records for the whole of Powys.

Much of the Local Studies collection can be found in the Powys Library Catalogue. Catalogued material can be borrowed, or if Reference Only can be viewed at the relevant libraries.

You can also carry out research using our microfilm readers and other tools to access historical documents on microfiche. For more information, visit the library local studies pages above.


Have you got a research service?

If you can't come into the library, we can still carry out research for you.

For research relating to:

Breconshire - apply online here

Montgomeryshire - apply online here

Radnorshire: apply via Powys Archives Research Service

We hold copies of trade directories, newspapers, periodicals and local history publications. Further details can be viewed here, with material listed in Powys Archives.   Local Studies publications are also listed in the library catalogue.


What will it cost and how do I pay?

Requests by post or telephone about the records and how they can be used for research are free.

Research costs £20.00 per half hour (for up to two hours). You must pay the fee even if there are no positive results from the search. If you require more research after receiving the first report, you can apply for it in the same way.

We accept postal orders or cheques payable to Powys County Council. You can also pay online using the Powys County Council Online Payments Facility.   Please do not make any payment until the research has been completed.


What sort of searches can you do?

Specific searches such as searching for entries in census returns would are straight-forward and quick. Longer searches, e.g. about a particular event or place, or a newspaper search, are possible but take longer. We cannot deal with general requests such as the growth and development of a town. The Branch Librarian can refuse a search or limit the amount of time which can be spent on it.


How do I apply?

You can submit your research requirements on an online application form, or complete and return a form by post. We cannot start any research unless a research form has been received.


How will I receive the information and how long will it take?

When a search is complete we will send a report, by email or by post, giving details of the sources checked and information found. We will also include the bill for the research. We aim to answer all enquiries within four weeks. 

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon