Toggle mobile menu visibility

Cabinet approves strategic outline case for new primary school

Image of Transforming Education words and its branding

8 March 2022

Image of Transforming Education words and its branding
Exciting plans that could transform education for south Powys learners have taken a step closer after Cabinet gave the go-ahead to submit plans to the Welsh Government.

Powys County Council is planning to build a new, £10.2m 150-place dual stream primary school to replace Sennybridge C.P. School's current building.

The council has prepared a Strategic Outline Case for the plans, which was considered and approved by Cabinet today (Tuesday, March 8).

The investment plans will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitions 10-year strategy that was approved in 2020.

Cabinet heard that that the funding required for the replacement school would be £10.2m, with 65% of funding coming from the Welsh Government's Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme (formerly the 21st Century Schools Programme). The remaining 35% would be funded by the council.

The Strategic Outline Case will now be submitted to the Welsh Government for their approval.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "Sennybridge C.P. School's existing building is not suitable to meet the needs of a 21st Century curriculum or meet the well-being needs of pupils.

"As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities. We believe that our plans for the new primary school in Sennybridge not only show this commitment but we will be providing facilities that the children deserve.

"I'm delighted that the Strategic Outline Case has been approved by Cabinet.  If it is approved by Welsh Government, it would represent another huge investment in our school infrastructure."

For more information about Transforming Education in Powys, visit Transforming Education