Toggle mobile menu visibility

Information for Sponsors/Hosts

Help someone fleeing Ukraine by sponsoring and hosting them in your home or offering self-contained accommodation: How you can help the people of Ukraine | GOV.WALES

  • Sponsors in Wales can call the free helpline on 0808 175 1508 for advice
  • For help with benefits, if required, you/your guests can access support from Powys CAB, and contact their Help to Claim service on 0800 024 1220.  Callers will speak to an adviser trained in assisting people to start their Universal Credit claim.   The adviser can conference call with translation services too.

UK Government

1.       Ukraine Family Visa Scheme: Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa - GOV.UK (

2.       Homes for Ukraine Scheme: Homes for Ukraine: record your interest - GOV.UK (

If you have registered on the UK Government's Homes for Ukraine Scheme, the UK Government Is dealing with your offer. Powys County Council will receive information on all the sponsors once the UK Government has processed these offers. Powys County Council will be in touch with you once we have received this.

Welsh Government

Government Guidelines

Your local authority is responsible for:

  • Registering children with schools
  • Providing advice on family support services, such as help with childcare costs English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes
  • Working with local health boards to signpost advice and referral pathways to specialist public health services as appropriate, for example for vaccinations or TB screening
  • Advice on further support services such as initial stabilisation, counselling and mental health support, adult social care, and children's services should be provided as needed
  • Arranging local Jobcentre Plus appointments for benefit assessments, including for emergency payments while any benefits are being arranged

Home visits and DBS Checks

The Welsh Government requires home visits to be done to check your accommodation is suitable. The Council's Environmental Health and Social Services will carry out an initial home visit at a time that is convenient to you. If you are not an owner occupier i.e., you rent your home, please let the officer know when to contact you. 

All sponsors and household members aged 16 years and above will require a new DBS check.

The local authority will determine which DBS check(s) (enhanced or basic) will be required in line with government guidance.

Health Information

  • The family will be able to register with the local GP.  GPs should have been made aware of Ukrainian arrivals and should arrange to carry out, or arrange for, an 'enhanced' screening check and also provide information about any necessary vaccinations, including Covid 19. 
  • In respect of mental health, it is likely that those arriving will be distressed and, possibly, in need of support.  If you have concerns in this regard, then please contact your GP in the first instance.
  • Sane Ukraine - Peer/Supported Mental Health, a free to attend daily trauma and resilience meeting online for Ukrainian citizens to give them the opportunity to chat to people experiencing the same things. The sessions are 45 minutes long. 

Sponsors will not be charged for these checks. Local authority will be available to support you with your DBS checks and will be on hand to discuss any concerns or queries you may have.


The council will provide an initial £200 per person cash payment to new arrivals, as well as a £500 monthly "thank you" payment to you as a host. The monthly amount is limited is limited to £500 per residential address, irrespective of the number of people being hosted.

Useful Links