What sort of help is there for hearing loss?

We employ specialist workers for people who are deaf or hard of hearing and we can assess your need for information, support, counselling and equipment.

We have a small budget to provide communication support such as sign language interpreters, speech to text facilities and lipspeakers for people who need access to social care services.

Equipment for your home

The Social Services department can lend you equipment to help you be independent at home. For example:

  • flashing light doorbells
  • personal television amplifiers: enable people with hearing problems to adjust the volume of the television through headphones without disturbing other people.
  • domestic loop systems:  amplifiers can be used with hearing aids that have a loop receiver.
  • text telephones.
  • alarm clocks with a flashing light or a vibrating disc.
  • visual alarms for deaf parents/carers.



  • Email: powyshi@powys.gov.uk
  • Phone: 01597 827666
  • Address: Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA


Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon