Advice on adult protection

If you work with adults who may be at risk of abuse, you need to know what to look for and what to do. This applies whether you are a paid member of staff or a volunteer in a health or social care organisation such as a domiciliary care agency, a care home, a hospital, or in community health services and social services.

In line with the new Social Services & Wellbeing Act all enquires are now received by ASSIST. This includes all internal and external referrals.  

Who is defined as an adult at risk?  

An adult is defined as an adult at risk if they :

(a)  have needs for care and support (whether or not the authority is meeting any of those needs),

(b)  is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect, and

(c)  as a result of those needs is unable to protect himself or herself against the abuse or neglect or the risk of it.

Report abuse

If it's an emergency, don't wait - call 999.

You must report all reports or concerns of abuse immediately. Don't try to sort out what happened yourself, because you think it is not that serious or to protect colleagues.

Your employer should give you guidance on how to report concerns in your organisation.

If you are unable to report immediately within your organisation, you report abuse through the following channels:

Powys County Council is a partner within the Mid and West Wales Safeguarding Board, which works at a regional level and links with local safeguarding sub groups to help protect children and adults who are experiencing, or at risk of, abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm. You can visit the partnership's website here.


  • Email:
  • Phone: 0345 602 7050
  • Address: Powys County Hall, Spa Road East, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5LG


Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon