The Active Leaders initiative was set up by Powys Sport Development and the Active Young People team. Its aims are:
- To give people opportunities to volunteer in their local communities and schools
- To recruit and keep more sport leaders from school to community
- To give a countywide structure for leadership, developing an Active Leaders pathway
- To develop a rewards and recognition structure for Active Leaders
- To encourage and develop young leaders in primary and community clubs through the Young Leaders Award
Learners can become Active Young People Organisers by attending a one-day course teaching them to organise safe, fun and purposeful physical activity for all young people. It works within the aims and philosophy of the Active Young People programme.
Learners aged 12 and over can take this course and achieve an Active Young People Organiser Award which will be certificated by Sports Leaders UK on behalf of Sport Wales. This means that learners will be given formal recognition for completing their course and also means that they will be able to use the learning gained in the Active Young People Organiser Award towards Sports Leaders UK Level 1 and Level 2 qualifications.
For information about the rewards available through the Active Leaders programme and the sports coaching and leadership pathway, please use the following links.