Photographs and Pictures: County Museum
The three county museums all have large photographic collections, but not all of them may be catalogued so access may not be possible in these cases. The main coverage is of towns, villages and individuals, and date from the dry plate era. Although photographs earlier than the 1870s will undoubtedly exist, including possibly the odd ambrotype, tintype and stereoscopic photographs.
Many of these are the work of local photographers that were active well into the 20th Century in some cases. The Radnorshire Museum has the glass negatives of Rousham Roberts, who was taking photographs in the area from the 1890s to the 1940s, also of his predecessor Sharples (1870s/90s), and the Hudson Series (pre 1901).
A local photographer by the name of Anderson operated in the Welshpool Area, and others may be identified by reference to Kelly's directories in the CAO. Remember that some will also have been chemists such as G.M. Perkins of Knighton, who took many local railway photographs in the early 1900s.
The names of many late 19th/early 20th Century photographers based in Brecon are remembered. The Brecknock Museum has examples of work by the Griffiths Studio, Robert Crawshay, H. Hobbiss, also Charles Smith Allen of Tenby and the Builth Wells photographer P.B. Abery, who had a base in Brecon in the 1890s and 1900s. Some like O. Jackson and J. Clark issued Postcards, which became very popular in Britain as a means of communication, after the Post Office allowed picture cards to be sent through the post in 1894.
National firms also issued postcard views of towns and beauty spots in all three counties, particularly The Valentines Company, the ubiquitous firm of Francis Frith, also Thomas Bros. of Liverpool and Warwick & Sons of Oldham, also The London & North Western Railway Co (Llandrindod Wells Station c1905). Postcards form a significant part of the photograph collections held by the County Museums.
See BRECON IN OLD PHOTOGRAPHS Collected by BRECKNOCK MUSEUM, WELSHPOOL IN OLD PHOTOGRAPHS Compiled by EVA B. BRENDSDORFF, AROUND LLANDRINDOD WELLS Compiled by CHRIS WILSON, and RADNORSHIRE by Powys County Archives Office.