Local Studies and Research Service at Newtown Library
- Newtown Area Library holds the Local Studies Collection for Montgomeryshire, with both reference and lending books available.
- The Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powysland Club) are a comprehensive, well indexed, starting point when researching the area.
- Census Returns for Montgomeryshire from 1841-1901, are on microfilm. There are 2 microfilm readers, one of which can be used to make printouts.
- A selection of Trade Directories for the county, 1822-1936, is also available on fiche.
- All our public computers have free access to the family history ANCESTRY and FINDMYPAST. In addition, the Local Studies computer provides access to a number of local and family history websites.
- Montgomeryshire Map collection: 1901 OS maps at 6" to the mile, 25" to the mile.
- Local newspapers are available - a combination of bound volumes and microfilm dating from 1869.
- There is also a collection of local history ephemera (leaflets, newsletters, posters, prints etc)
You can visit our Local Studies room whenever the library is open, and assistance can be given if needed. However if you can't come in we can do the research for you.
How to apply
- Fill in the form below to give clear details of your research requirements
- We may contact you to discuss the research
- We will send you the research results and the bill, by email or by post - usually within 4 weeks
- The research fee is payable after we have done the research - research costs £20.00 per half hour (for up to two hours). The fee is still payable even if the research yields no results.
- We accept cheques payable to Powys County Council and drawn on a bank with a UK branch. Alternatively you can pay online, by debit or visa card, using our online payments facility.