Privately Rented Accommodation

If you're renting property, your landlord is not obliged to keep it in perfect condition, however there are some legal standards that need to be met.Image of some housing

If you have an issue with your rented property that is dangerous or harmful to your health e.g. no heating or electrical hazards, you should initially ask your landlord to repair it. If the landlord fails to act or the problem persists, you may report it to us and we will send an officer to inspect your home. We will then be required to work with the landlord to resolve the issue.

If you require immediate assistance e.g. there is a strong smell of gas or faulty electrics, phone the relevant emergency number for those services.

We can inspect homes using the "Housing Health and Safety Rating System" to identify defects that may pose a risk to your health & wellbeing.

ECO-3 Grants

Powys Council is now taking part in "ECO 3," the nationwide grant scheme funded by the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), designed to help households living in fuel poverty. It can assist in the provision of insulation and heating improvements for private tenants or owner occupiers on low income or benefit living in an energy inefficient home.

Should you be interested in applying or wish to find out more, please contact the Council's delivery partner for the scheme: Warm Wales

Warm Wales, Llewellyn House, Harbourside Business Park, Port Talbot, SA13 1SB.


Call: 01656 747 622



A copy of our current (version 2) statement of intent can be found here [288KB]

A copy of the "statement of intent" that is now withdrawn can be found here. [275KB]  Withdrawal date - 28/9/2018 5pm.




Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon