We are looking for volunteers to help our visitors get more out of Powys Archives. This isn't a specialist role and would be great for someone who enjoys meeting new people and helping them problem solve.
Interested in local history and the area? Happy using a computer and helping others use the net for research? Have you perhaps researched your family tree? Available weekdays?
Are you a people person with a passion for history? This role would be right up your street.
Purpose of the Role Working alongside staff in the search room you would help newcomers and existing users get the most out of the range of resources available at Powys Archives. You would help promote the service and provide extra help where needed.
What would you do?
- Welcome visitors to the Archives and help settle them in
- Share your interest in local or family history
- When appropriate help with family history enquiries and using Ancestory.com, parish registers, census returns, newspapers and other resources.
- Help develop local studies projects.
- Help visitors use the microfilm readers and computers for research
- The local studies section occasionally gets out of order so it would be great if you could help restore it into parish order
What sort of person do we need?
Volunteers would not need to have special skills or experience, but the role would be ideal for someone with these qualities:
- Competent computer and internet search skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- An interest in family history and heritage
- Ability to work in a team or on own
- Punctual and reliable
- Enjoy dealing with people
- Knowledge of the different parishes of Powys or ability to read a map showing their boundaries
- Supportive of the archives service in its commitment to making events accessible and welcoming.
This is not a physically active role and the building has good disabled access.
Apply to volunteer at Powys Archives