Sports Stars Honoured
|16th May 2018|
Sports stars from across mid and south Powys have been honoured at an annual ceremony.
The 2017 Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership Annual Sports Awards took place at Theatr Brycheiniog on Thursday, April 19. The awards, which are now in their 21st year, recognise and celebrate sporting success of local individuals and teams in sport at all levels.
Ex-Glamorgan cricketer, Mark Wallace was the guest speakers at this year's ceremony, which was organised collaboratively by the volunteered-run Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership and Powys County Council's Sports Development team.
Over 70 nominations were received across 13 categories. The winners on the night were:
• Senior Sports Personality of the Year - Tim Davies (Cycling)
• Senior Disabled Sports Personality - Leif Thobroe (Taekwondo)
• Young Sportsperson 14-18 years - Alex Walton (Motocross)
• Young Disabled Sportsperson - Group Trophy (Special Olympics)
• Junior Sportsperson Under 14 - Ellie Cain (Kickboxing and karate)
• Senior Sports Team - Presteigne Ladies Hockey
• Junior Sports Team - Presteigne Colts U11s (Football)
• Club of the Year - Llandod Dragons (Gymnastics)
• Young Sports Leader - Harrison Clayton
• Coach of the Year - Matthew Lewis
• Sports Volunteer of the Year - Terry Dickson
• Contribution to PE and School Sport - Kathryn Powell
Bill Weale received the Outstanding Service to Sport Award for his services to bowls.
Cllr Rachel Powell, Powys County Council's Cabinet Member for Sports Development, said: "These awards are a wonderful celebration of sport in Brecknock and Radnorshire and I would like to congratulate all those who were successful on the night.
"The number of nominations is a testimony to the strength and breadth of sport, talent and support in the area and the standards being attained by many of young sportspeople is a fantastic achievement."