Machynlleth Cemetery Survey 2017
In November 2017 we sought your views on the future provision of a cemetery for the town. The current Victorian cemetery is nearly at full capacity with two years of burial space left.
We asked for your views on two potential sites:
- Land behind the Plas
- Land at Machynlleth CP School
There was also scope:
- To look to build a new cemetery in an outlying area
- For residents to use alternative private churchyards for burials
- For residents to travel to Newtown for future burials
- We want a cemetery in our town not elsewhere
- We don't want to drive to Newtown - it's too far
- We want to be able to walk to visit loved ones graves
- We like the idea of the Plas as a site for a cemetery
- We'd like an area for scattering ashes and urns
- We'd like an option to have a woodland burial
- We will now conduct a comprehensive feasibility study into developing the Plas as a new cemetery.
What's our legal role?
Local authorities have a duty under the Local Authorities' Cemeteries Order 1977 to maintain existing cemeteries but not to build new ones.