1. Login / Register
  2. Cymraeg
Close Icon
  1. Login / Register
Notice: Revised Waste and Recycling Collections over Christmas and New Year
Read more

Motorcyclists need permit to ride part of Monk's Trod

Image representing Motorcyclists need permit to ride part of Monk's Trod
25th June 2018 

Image of the Monk's Trod bywayMotorcyclists wanting to ride part of a Powys byway will have to apply for a permit, the county council has said.

Powys County Council's Countryside Services team has introduced a permit scheme for motorcycles who want to ride on part of Monk's Trod, a well-known byway in the Elan Valley.

The scheme has been put in place to find out the level of motorcycle use the byway's surface can sustain in its present condition before considering further works to support motorcycle use.

It will allow motorcycling to take place on the byway for four days only until Friday, August 31.

A maximum of 15 motorcycles will be allowed to ride on each of the permit days, with the first permit day taking place on Sunday, July 1. The remaining dates will be announced in due course.

The scheme will only provide access for three kilometres of the byway from Pont ar Elan so access will not be available for the entire length of the byway.

Cllr Aled Davies, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Countryside Services, said: "The byway follows part of the medieval 'Monk's Trod' route between Abbeycwmhir and Strata Florida and crosses a large area of ecologically sensitive habitat.

"This permit scheme will assist our Countryside Services team in balancing the needs of all user groups with future sustainability of the route and the sensitive landscape surrounding it."

Motorcyclists can apply for a permit by visiting the council's website at https://customer.powys.gov.uk/monktrod but it will be on a first come, first serve basis due to the limited number of permits available.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon