Notice: Housing rent account balances in My Account
Read more

Motorcyclists need permit to ride on Monk's Trod

Motorcyclists need permit to ride on Monk’s Trod

18th July 2018

Motorcyclists need permit to ride on Monk’s Trod

Motorcyclists wanting to ride part of a Powys byway later this month will need to apply for a permit, the county council has said.

Powys County Council's Countryside Services introduced a permit scheme for motorcyclists who want to ride on part of Monk's Trod, a well-known byway in the Elan Valley.

The second permit day will take place on Monday, July 30 and a maximum of 15 motorcycles will be allowed to ride on that day. Permits for the last two remaining days, which will be the 12 and 31 August, will be available soon.

The scheme has been put in place to find out the level of motorcycle use the byway's surface can sustain in its present condition before considering further works to support motorcycle use.

The scheme will only provide access for three kilometres of the byway from Pont ar Elan so access will not be available for the entire length of the byway.

Cllr Aled Davies, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Countryside Services, said: "The byway follows part of the medieval 'Monk's Trod' route between Abbeycwmhir and Strata Florida and crosses a large area of ecologically sensitive habitat.

"This permit scheme will assist our Countryside Services team in balancing the needs of all user groups with future sustainability of the route and the sensitive landscape surrounding it."

Motorcyclists can apply for a permit by visiting the council's website at but it will be on a first come, first serve basis due to the limited number of permits available.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon