1. Login / Register
  2. Cymraeg
Close Icon
  1. Login / Register
Notice: NEW - Did you know you can now view your Rent Account balance online
Read more

Consumers Information (NTSEAT)

report a business

Report a business

If you suspect that a business is not complying with its obligations under the Estate Agents Act, you can send details to us at estate.agency@powys.gov.uk. We will not reveal your details in any investigation unless you agree for us to do this.

The National Trading Standards Estate Agency Team does not have the resources to give consumer advice, nor can we get involved with resolving disputes or complaints against businesses. Consumer advice is available from the Citizen's Advice website, or from its consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.

You can read the  Leasehold Redress Guidance for Consumers here


Ombudsman Redress Schemes


If you have a dispute with an estate agent in relation to residential property you may be able to take up your complaint with one of the two UK redress schemes there are in the UK. All estate agents who deal with residential property must belong to one of the schemes. You can refer a complaint to the relevant ombudsman depending on which scheme the estate agent is signed up to. The two schemes are as follows:

You can search for a member agent on the ombudsman websites

From 6 August 2018 Ombudsman Services:Property will no longer provide a dispute resolution service to consumers who have a complaint about an estate agent. Complaints should now be addressed to whichever of the other two redress schemes the agent has transferred to.


Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is the general term applied to means of resolving disputes between consumers and traders without going to court. Two main forms of ADR are mediation (an independent third party helps parties arrive at a mutually agreed outcome) and arbitration (an independent third party makes a decision based on the facts which can be binding on either parties).

Two sets of regulations implement the European Directive on alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in the UK. You may find them here:

The regulations require businesses that sell to consumers to provide certain information, establish competent authorities to certify ADR schemes and set criteria ADR scheme applicants must meet to gain certification. The regulations do not make it mandatory for traders to belong to an ADR scheme. However, most businesses which sell to consumers must point them to a certified ADR scheme, should a complaint be unresolvable between the trader and consumer.

The regulations also require that ADR providers wishing to gain certification must meet certain standards with regard to independence, impartiality, and quality of expertise.

The National Trading Standards Estate Agency Team is a competent authority for the purposes of the ADR regulations within the UK. Currently, within the estate agency sector, there are two applicable organisations which are approved as Alternative Dispute Resolution providers. These are :


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon