Notice: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Read more

Motorcyclists can apply for a permit to ride on Monk's Trod

Image of the Monk's Trod byway

9 July 2019

Image of the Monk's Trod bywayMotorcyclists wanting to ride on a Powys byway can apply for a permit, the county council has said.

Powys County Council's Countryside Services has a permit scheme in place for motorcyclists who want to ride on Monk's Trod, a well-known byway in the Elan Valley.

Two permit days will take place on Saturday, July 27 and Tuesday, August 20 to allow motorcyclists to ride the whole length of the byway within the Powys boundary but only if they have received a permit.

The permit scheme was put in place to find out the level of motorcycle use the byway's surface can sustain in its present condition before considering further works to support motorcycle use.

Nina Davies, the council's Head of Housing and Community Development, said: "The byway follows part of the medieval 'Monk's Trod' route between Abbeycwmhir and Strata Florida and crosses a large area of ecologically sensitive habitat.

"This permit scheme will assist our Countryside Services team in balancing the needs of all user groups with future sustainability of the route and the sensitive landscape surrounding it."

Motorcyclists can apply for a permit by visiting the council's website at

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon