NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

New School plans a step closer

Image 21st Century schools logo

21st February 2020

Image 21st Century schools logoExciting plans for a £22m replacement special school in north Powys could take a step closer next month if Cabinet give the go-ahead to submit plans to the Welsh Government.

Powys County Council is planning to build a new school for Ysgol Cedewain and has prepared a Strategic Outline Case (SOC), which will be considered by Cabinet on Tuesday, March 3.

If the SOC is approved, it will be submitted to the Welsh Government for their approval.

Cabinet will be told that the funding required for the replacement school would be almost £22.7m, with 75% of funding coming from the Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Programme. The remaining 25% would be funded by the council.

As part of the plans, the new Ysgol Cedewain school will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "One of our priorities is an innovative, state-of-the-art campus to replace the existing Ysgol Cedewain buildings, which are in a very poor condition and not fit-for-purpose.

"If the Strategic Outline Case are approved by both Cabinet and the Welsh Government, this would be a huge investment in our school infrastructure.

"As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities, especially for our most vulnerable learners.  Our plan for Ysgol Cedewain shows this commitment."


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon