Still time to give views on revised home to school and college transport policy
13 July 2020
Learners, their families, schools and the wider public have just two weeks to give their views on Powys County Council's revised Home to School/College Transport Policy.
The revised policy has been drawn up to provide reduce ambiguity in order to ensure that the policy can be applied consistently.
The proposed changes include:
- Removal of the practice of reimbursing 16 - 19 aged learners who travel out of county to study
- Removal of the practice of providing transport following a change of ordinary place of residence for learners in years 10,11,12 and 13
- Clarified the appeal process to make it clearer.
The review of the policy was carried out following the approval of the council's Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys 2020-2030 in April.
Should the Cabinet approve the policy after consultation, the revised policy would come into effect in September 2021.
The revised policy can be viewed at https://haveyoursay.powys.gov.uk/ along with a link to a survey. Paper copies of the revised policy and survey are available from the council by telephoning 01597 826277.
Cllr Aled Davies, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Schools' Transport, said: "We are embarking on an exciting transformation journey to deliver a better education and provide better learner outcomes for our children.
"Creating the correct environment where our children can excel is at the heart of our educational reform.
"As we embark on this journey, we need to ensure that our home to school transport policy keep pace with these changes so that it supports our key objectives.
"Please take some time to take a look at our revised policy. We will welcome your feedback in the process of making this policy clear and fair."
To respond to the consultation, people can:
- Respond to the questionnaire online at https://haveyoursay.powys.gov.uk/
- Send a written response via email or post to email@example.com / School Transformation Team, Schools Service, County Hall, Spa Road East, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5LG
The consultation will close on Monday, July 27