NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Business cases approved for replacement special schools


24 August 2020

classroomReplacement buildings for two special schools in north Powys have taken a step closer after plans submitted by the county council were approved by the Welsh Government.

Powys County Council is planning to build new schools for Ysgol Cedewain and Brynllywarch Hall School and submitted Outline Business Cases to the Welsh Government for consideration.

Both cases have been approved by the Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Capital Programme Panel and secures an investment worth over £31m for both special schools. The decision is subject to approval by the Education Minister.

The investment plans will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitious 10-year strategy that was approved earlier this year (April).

75 per cent of the funding for the replacement schools will come from the Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Capital Programme with the council funding the remaining 25 per cent.

As part of the plans for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown, the purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities will include a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.

The new purpose-built and flagship community focused school for Brynllywarch Hall School in Kerry with 72 places in age appropriate environments would include a modern and innovative learning environment as well as special equipment.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "I'm delighted that the Welsh Government have approved both Outline Business Cases to build new schools for Ysgol Cedewain and Brynllywarch Hall School.

"We are committed to transforming education in Powys for all our learners. Not only will these plans help us deliver our ambitious strategy but they are also key elements in transforming and improving additional learning needs provision for our vulnerable learners.

"As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities, especially for our most vulnerable learners. The Welsh Government's approval will make this possible and will see an investment of over £31m in our school infrastructure."

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon