Text Relay service
The service provides a relay assistant who types and talks, as needed, to help a deaf or speech impaired person and a hearing person communicate.
How to use our Text Relay service
If you are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment, dial: 0870 240 9598.
- Call 0870 240 9598 from your phone.
- Within the app (Relay UK), 'Join' the call when prompted and you will see the message "Relay UK Please type the number you want to call GA."
- Enter the number of the person you want to call using the app's numeric keypad. At this point you are not connected to a relay assistant, so make sure you type rather than speak.
- You will then see "Relay UK Waiting for a free relay assistant" and shortly after, "Connected to Text Relay please wait."
- The relay assistant will then ask you the name of the person you want to call and try to connect you.
If you are using a textphone, the steps you need to take are similar, but you will be entering information onto the textphone screen instead.
Note: Relay UK costs an extra 1p per minute to use, in addition to standard call charges, and can connect with us using the app or a textphone.