NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Ysgol Cedewain tender package published

Image of three children wearing hard hats in a classroom looking at building design papers

6 October 2020

Image of three children wearing hard hats in a classroom looking at building design papersA tender package to build a new replacement special school in north Powys has now been published, the county council has said.

Powys County Council is looking for contractors to build a new school for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown.

The project will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitious 10-year strategy that was approved earlier this year (April).

In August, the Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Capital Programme Panel, which will fund 75% of the project, approved the council's Outline Business Case for the new £22m special school. The remaining 25% would be funded by the council.

As part of the plans, the new Ysgol Cedewain school will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education and Property, said: "The publication of the tender package is a major step forward for this school building project.

"We are committed to transforming education in Powys for all our learners. Not only will these plans help us deliver our ambitious strategy but they are also key elements in transforming and improving additional learning needs provision for our vulnerable learners.

"As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities, especially for our most vulnerable learners. When complete, it will provide an environment where teaching staff can thrive and give vulnerable learners facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning."

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon