Toggle mobile menu visibility

Information For Ukrainian Arrivals

Powys extends a warm welcome to those arriving from Ukraine.

If you've recently arrived in the UK from Ukraine, welcome to Powys. We want to make sure you have the help and support you need.

If you have any issues or concerns, please email us at Powys County Council at

Getting started

Ukraine Welcome Guide (PDF) [4MB]

Welcome to Powys Guide (PDF) [4MB]

Get help if you are a Ukrainian coming to Wales | GOV.WALES

UK visa support for Ukrainian nationals - GOV.UK (

Guide to Living in the UK - English, Ukrainian and Russian -

Government Guidelines

Your local authority is responsible for:

  • Registering children with schools
  • Providing advice on family support services, such as help with childcare costs.
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes
  • Working with local health boards to signpost advice and referral pathways to specialist public health services as appropriate, for example for vaccinations or TB screening.
  • Advice on further support services such as initial stabilisation, counselling and mental health support, adult social care, and children's services should be provided as needed.
  • Arranging local Jobcentre Plus appointments for benefit assessments, including for emergency payments while any benefits are being arranged.
  • Financial Support
  • Benefit Information Guide (PDF) [83KB]

For help with benefits, if required, you/your guests can access support from Powys CAB, and contact their Help to Claim service on 0800 024 1220. Callers will speak to an adviser trained in assisting people to start their Universal Credit claim. The adviser can conference call with translation services too.

You will need to open a UK bank account to receive money from the government. In this UK, these payments are called benefits. There are a range of banks, and you can choose one that suits you best. There are also online-only banking providers which you can use.

You will need to show proof of your identity to open a bank account in the UK, such as:

  • a passport,
  • immigration status,
  • driver's licence, or
  • recognised identity card.
  • You also need proof of a permanent address.

Several banks have started offering special, free bank accounts for Ukrainian refugees. Banks currently providing a fast-track route for Ukrainian Nationals to open a bank account include:

Health Information

Your family will be able to register with the local Powys teaching health board GP. GPs should have been made aware of your arrival and should arrange to carry out, or arrange for, an 'enhanced' screening check and provide information about any necessary vaccinations, including Covid19.

If you require urgent medical advice or assistance the Out of Hours GP; via the 111-telephone service, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can be used for urgent health advice on what services to access or how to manage an illness or condition and to access urgent primary care out of hours (where that service is available in your area). The service includes translation support via Language Line, Relay 24, and Interpreter now. REMEMBER, in a medical / life threatening emergency, dial 999.

In addition to registering with a GP, it is advisable for your guest/s to register with a dentist though it recognised that some dental practices may not have capacity for NHS patients.

Powys Dental Helpline on 01686 252 808 or you can search on

Sane Ukraine - Peer/Supported Mental Health, a free to attend daily trauma and resilience meeting online for Ukrainian citizens to give them the opportunity to chat to people experiencing the same things. The sessions are 45 minutes long.

Additional support can also be found here: Support with mental health - Powys County Council

Learning English

If you and your family wish to have help with their English, please contact Adult Learning Wales or any Neath Port Talbot College in Powys; they will be eligible for free ESOL classes. These are delivered on-line, face to face or via 'blended' teaching. Your local Job Centre should also be able to assist with ESOL provision.

Working in the UK

Once employed, your rights as a worker are protected by UK law.

Some rights take immediate effect, some are conditional on how long you work. You should expect the following from your employer. These are your employment rights.

You are entitled to:

Driving in Wales

If you have brought a vehicle to Wales, and it is taxed and registered in Ukraine, you do not need to:

  • Declare the vehicles to customs, or
  • Pay any customs duty or import VAT on the vehicle.

This is allowed under the 'Temporary Admission (TA)' procedure. Under this, imported goods or belongings must not be altered (but can be repaired), and must be re-exported within a set time (normally 6 months). But Ukrainians who are in Wales for more than 6 months can apply for an extension (for up to 3 years).

To do this you must email and send them a copy of the Biometric Residence Permit, or any other evidence of permission to remain in the Wales.

More information on driving can be found here: driving in the UK

Additional Support

We want to provide support to Ukrainians living in Powys -

Information about the childcare offer in Wales (PDF) [354KB] 

We hold the below host/guest friendly drop-in sessions in local libraries where you can get support and information:

Moving on

If you are planning on moving on from your host/sponsor and want to stay in Powys -

A Guide to Renting (PDF) [1MB]