Governors Training Programme
In September 2013 The Government of Maintained Schools (Training Requirements for Governors)(Wales) Regulations 2013 came into force. Therefore clerks, chairs, Induction and Data Training have all become mandatory.
- Newly appointed governors must attend Induction training within one year of their appointment.
- All governors must attend data training within one year of appointment or reappointment.
- All newly appointed clerks to governing bodies must attend clerks training within twelve months of being appointed.
- All newly appointed chair of governors must attend chairs training within six months of their election to office.
Headteachers are exempt from completing the mandatory training; however, newly appointed headteachers are welcome to attend the training and would offer:
- A better understanding of the role of governors in the induction training
- An understanding of what the data training is about and how to present data to governors
- An understanding of the role of the chair and how to develop a good working and supportive relationship with the chair.Governors are able to attend mandatory training offered by neighbouring local authorities' Governors' Support Services.
A copy of the training offered in the ERW region can be found on the ERW website