Toggle mobile menu visibility

Check Eligibility for Care Services

Am I eligible for help?

In an emergency we will always act ourselves or make sure you get immediate help from other services (If you have an emergency out of normal working hours please use our Out of Hours Service).

If you ask us for help, we'll need to do an assessment to find out what your needs are and what help we can give you. We call this a 'Contact/Overview assessment'.

When we have got to know about you and your circumstances (through the assessment) we will look at:

  • whether you are able to make decisions and choices
  • whether you are safe from harm from yourself or others
  • whether you can manage essential routines; if you can care for yourself (your hygiene, cooking, eating, getting around etc.) and your household management
  • whether you need help to have a social, family and community life.

We then have to decide what the risk to you would be if you didn't get help, and the help we give you will depend on this risk level. This may seem a bit clinical but we have rules we have to follow that make sure that everyone is helped fairly.

To put it another way, we are concerned if:

  • You can't do essential everyday things to keep yourself independent
  • You're struggling to manage, e.g. you (or a carer) are at serious risk of injury or there's a risk of your home arrangements breaking down
  • You have been or might be abused or neglected
  • Your life is in some way at risk.

The person doing your assessment will decide whether you are eligible and explain their decision to you. If you are eligible we'll arrange help for you.

Your Care Manager will complete a  for you. This will say exactly what help you'll get and who will help you. You'll be given a copy of the plan and we'll arrange a date to review it to make sure you're getting the help you need.

If we decide that your independence is not at 'critical' or 'substantial' risk, we won't be able to give you any longer term practical support ourselves, but we can put you in touch with other services who can help.

What if I am not eligible?

If you've not qualified for help and your needs change, please ask for another assessment.

If you need help but we can't help you, we will give you information about services that you can use. You may need to decide whether you want to pay for help from a private business (for things like cleaning, shopping, house maintenance, equipment, some personal care).

There may be some services run by voluntary groups which are subsidised by grants.

While we work closely with the Powys Health Services, other parts of the council and the Benefits Service, and with voluntary and private services, please remember that these are all separate services and not the responsibility of Adult Care Services.

What if you disagree with a decision about whether you get help?

If you don't agree with the decisions we make about your needs or the services we offer to you, please explain to the person who is doing your assessment with you.

If you can't come to agreement, ask for the name of their manager and speak to them.

If you're still not satisfied, please register a complaint.



  • Email:
  • Phone: 0345 602 7050
  • Address: ASSIST (Adult Social Care), Powys County Hall, Spa Road East, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5LG

Feedback about a page here