Tips for Food Safety
- Take chilled and frozen food home quickly and put in the fridge or freezer at once.
- Prepare and store raw and cooked food separately - keep raw meat and fish at the bottom of your fridge and use separate knives and chopping boards for raw and cooked food.
- Keep the coldest part of your fridge at 0-5°C - get a fridge thermometer.
- Check 'use-by' dates - use food within the recommended period.
- Keep pets away from food - and dishes, utensils and worktops.
- Wash hands thoroughly before preparing food, after going to the toilet or after handling pets.
- Keep your kitchen clean - wash worktops and utensils between handling cooked and raw foods.
- Don't eat food containing uncooked eggs - keep eggs in the fridge.
- Cook food well, following any instructions on the pack. If you reheat make sure it is piping hot, and only reheat once.
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold - don't leave them standing around.
If you need any further advice, please contact us. Where needed, an officer will arrange to visit and give advice.