Notice: Housing rent account balances in My Account
Read more

Zoo licences

zoo licences

All zoos in Great Britain must be inspected and must have a licence.  This is to make sure that all animals in zoos are kept somewhere suitable that allows them to behave in the most natural way possible.


Anyone keeping wild animals for the public to see, with or without charge, on more than seven days in any consecutive twelve months, will need a licence. There are exceptions for circuses, pet shops or registered establishments for carrying out animal experiments.

More information is available from the Area Licensing Office or by visiting the UK Government's zoo licensing pages.

When you apply

You must let us know that you plan to apply at least two months before making application.  There is a form that can be filled in for this. A notice of that intention must be published in a local and national newspaper and displayed at the premises.


Please contact us if you would like to make an appeal.

Fill in an application online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Notification to operate a zoo

Apply for a licence to operate a zoo

Apply to change a zoo licence

You can also get an application form from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.



  • Email:
  • Phone: 0345 6027030
  • Address for North Powys: Trading Standards - Animal Health and Movement, The Park, Newtown, Powys, SY16, 2NZ
  • Address for South Powys: Trading Standards - Animal Health and Movement Neuadd Brycheiniog, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7HR


Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon