Drivers (licence application)
This licence is required before any person can drive a licensed private hire vehicle or a Hackney Carriage.
Before a licence is granted the applicant must show that they:
- are a fit and proper person to hold a licence
- have passed our knowledge and competency test for licensed drivers
- are medically fit
- have held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application
- have passed a police criminal record check
- New applicants will need watch this video prior to sitting the knowledge test. The test will include questions about the video to ensure that new drivers understand the role they have to play in safeguarding. The video password is Safe001
'For new driver applications please make an appointment with your nearest office to submit your forms, you will be required to bring with you a range of ID documents to enable DBS and DVLA checks to be made, officers will give you further details of the requirements when you make your appointment'
The driver competency and knowledge test is a multiple choice written test consisting of 20 questions, in order to pass applicants must answer at least 16 out of the 20 questions correctly. The questions are all based around the licence conditions, taxi law, safeguarding and geographical knowledge of Powys. Drivers may only sit the test 2 times in any calendar year. It is advisable that applicants are prepared by familiarising themselves with the licence conditions before sitting the test.