Taxi / Hackney carriage and Private Hire Driver Licensing
A joint Hackney Carriage Private hire Driver licence is required before driving either a licensed private hire vehicle or a Hackney Carriage.
A licence issued by Powys County Council only permits the holder to drive Powys licensed vehicles.
Before making an application, potential applicants must pass the knowledge and competency test and watch this video prior to sitting the test. The test will include questions about the video to ensure that new drivers understand the role they have to play in safeguarding. The video password is Safe001
On passing the test an application can them be made. The process for making an application is outlined in the guidance below.
- be a fit and proper person to hold a licence (Suitability Criteria for the Hackney and Private Hire Trade)
- be medically fit and meet Group 2 medical standards Medical report for taxi or private hire vehicle drivers licence: application form | GOV.WALES
- have held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application
- have carried out the appropriate Disclosure and Barring check
- present a DVLA share code View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- present a right to work document
Anyone applying or renewing a licence must sign up to the DBS UPDATE SERVICE that enables a DBS check to be carried out regularly. Applicants must subscribe to the update service WITHIN 28 DAYS of the certificate issue date. The cost is £13 per year to subscribe (payable to the DBS). Link to subscribe to the update service can be found here - DBS Update Service - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). Failure to subscribe to the update service may lead to your licence being SUSPENDED
Driver renewal applications also require a HMRC Tax check code. This is a new legal requirement - Changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). Without a code we won't be able to renew your licence.
Anyone needing extra support can complete the tax check by phone through HMRC's customer helpline 0300 200 3300.
The driver competency and knowledge test is a multiple choice written test consisting of 20 questions, in order to pass applicants must answer at least 16 out of the 20 questions correctly. The questions are all based around the licence conditions, taxi law, safeguarding and geographical knowledge of Powys. Drivers may only sit the test 2 times in any calendar year. It is advisable that applicants are prepared by familiarising themselves with the licence conditions before sitting the test.
Please contact licensing to make an appointment to sit the test at one of the council offices,officers will give you further details of the requirements and what to bring with you to the appointment.