Business Rates: Transitional Relief April 2017 - March 2020
Following the 2017 non-domestic rates revaluation by the Valuation Office Agency, transitional relief will be implemented to support ratepayers. It will support those whose eligibility for Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR) will be affected as a result of the revaluation.
The scheme will be introduced to assist ratepayers in receipt of SBRR on 31st March 2017 who are experiencing a reduction in the percentage of SBRR they are entitled to on 1st April 2017, due to increases in their rateable value following the revaluation.
SBRR will be applied prior to transitional relief. The transitional relief will work by phasing in any resultant increases in liability over a 3-year period by the percentages below:
- 25% of increased liability in year 1,
- 50% in year 2
- 75% in year 3
Eligible ratepayers are those:
- Moving from full SBRR to partial SBRR
- Moving from full SBRR to no SBRR
- Moving from partial SBRR to no SBRR
- Staying within partial SBRR but seeing an increase in rateable value