Privacy Notice for School Governors
Under data protection law, individuals have a right to be informed about how Powys County Council uses any personal data that we hold about them. We comply with this right by providing 'privacy notices' to individuals where we are processing their personal data.
This privacy notice explains how we collect, store and use personal data about governors.
Powys County Council is the 'data controller' for the purposes of data protection law.
You can contact the Council's data protection officer for more information.
The personal data we hold
Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (when appropriate) about governors includes, but is not restricted to:
- Current and previous contact details - title, name(s), address(es), email address, telephone contact details
- Current governorships (type of governor, any positions held on the governing body and term of office
- Previous governorships (type of governor, any positions held on the governing body, terms of office serves and reasons for resignations/suspensions)
- Training records (of attendance at LA organised/commissioned training events)
- Signed Declaration of Eligibility forms
- Information provided by individuals as part of an application form to facilitate the Authority governor appointment procedures
Why we use this data
We use this data to:
- Comply with the law regarding Section 72 of the Education and Inspections Act 2006
- Comply with The Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005
- Provide appropriate statutory advice and guidance
- Deliver governor advice, guidance, information and training
Our legal basis for using this data
We only collect and use governors' personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we process it where:
- We need to comply with a legal obligation (see above)
- We provide governor advice, guidance, information and training
Collecting this information
The information we collect about governors is provided by either the school involved, the clerk to governors or individual governors/prospective governors.
How we store this data
Personal information about governors is held securely both electronically and in manual format. This information will be held for a further 5 years after cessation of the role in line with The Government of Maintained Schools (Training Requirements for Governors) (Wales) Regulations 2013.
We do not share information about governors with any third party without consent unless the law and other valid obligations require us to do so.
Where it is legally required or necessary (and it complies with data protection law) we may share personal information about governors with:
- Powys County Council schools were the governor is or has been a governor
- Other LA departments/services were appropriate
- Appropriate regulators - Estyn, ERW - Regional Consortium
- Central and local government
Under data protection law, individuals have certain rights regarding how their personal data is used and kept safe, including the:
- Right to Access
- Right to Rectification
- Right to Erasure
- Right to Restriction
- Right to Data Portability
- Right to Object
- Right to Complain
All requests exercised must be made in writing and must be responded to within one month by the Council. There is no charge to exercise these rights in most cases. However, you should be aware that it is not always possible for us to restrict our processing, especially where our legitimate interests override those of an individual. Where you have identified inaccurate data then we have the right to request that the inaccuracy be verified and ask for proof of the inaccuracy.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact our data protection officer by email: email@example.com
If you think that our collection or use of personal information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, or have any other concerns about our data processing, please raise this with us in the first instances.
For more information on how Powys County Council uses personal data please visit our Data Protection and Privacy page
We take any complaints about our collection and use of personal information very seriously. If you have any concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this privacy notice, please contact our Data Protection Officer:Data Protection OfficerPowys County CouncilCounty HallSpa Road EastLlandrindod WellsPowysLD1 5LG
If you are still not satisfied following this, you can make an appeal to the Information Commissioner, who is the statutory regulator. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:Information Commissioner's Office2nd floorChurchill HouseChurchill wayCardiffCF10 2HHTel: 029 2067 8400Email:firstname.lastname@example.org