Toggle mobile menu visibility

Rent and Service Charges - Questions and Answers

I can't afford to pay my rent - what can I do?

Council rents are amongst the lowest in Powys - and all our properties are let through a Secure Occupation Contract, which under the Renting Homes (Wales) Act replaces the secure tenancy previously used.

That means that as long as you pay your rent and stick to the conditions of your contract, you have security of tenure for as long as you want to stay in your home. However, we do understand that there are times when it is difficult to pay bills such as rent.

If you think you may not be able to pay your rent, please call the Housing One number of 01597 827464 as soon as possible. We will be able to give you advice on how to avoid falling into rent arrears. We also have a team of Financial Support Officers who can help people manage their money and where possible claim help from the social security system - for example Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

We are here to help so don't delay calling us if for whatever reason you are worried about making your rent payments.