Toggle mobile menu visibility

Financial Support for Carers

If you're an unpaid carer, you may be able to get financial support to help you with your caring duties.

Many people spend time looking after other people who might be unable to look after themselves without some help. If you provide unpaid care and/or support to another person who has an illness, disability, or a long-term condition, you may be recognised in law as being an unpaid carer who is providing necessary care.

The person you are helping might be a family member or a friend, and you may be supporting them with either their physical or mental health needs, or both.

As an unpaid carer there may be some financial support that you are able to get for yourself.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a benefit paid by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

It can be paid to people aged 16 and over who are caring for another person for at least 35 hours per week. The person being looked after must be getting Attendance Allowance; Disability Living Allowance care component (middle or higher rate) or Personal Independence Payment daily living component.

If you are looking after more than one person, you can only make a claim for caring for one of them. If a person has more than one person caring for them, only one is able to claim Carer's allowance.

If the person you are looking after is living alone (or DWP rules treat them as living alone) and they get means-tested benefits such as Universal Credit or income related Employment and Support Allowance, if you make a claim for Carer's Allowance this could reduce the amount of money that they get in their benefits. It is important that the person you are looking after agrees that you can claim Carer's Allowance. It is recommended that you both take advice from an organisation like CAB before you make the claim.

You can find out if you're eligible for Carer's Allowance and make a claim on

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

It's paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

You could get £61.85 or £92.40 a week to help with personal support if you're both:

  • physically or mentally disabled
  • State Pension age or older
  • It does not cover mobility needs.

The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.

You do not have to have someone caring for you in order to claim.

To learn more about Attendance Allowance eligibility and application, please visit

Council Tax Reduction for carers

If you care for someone and live with them, you may not have to pay Council Tax.

To learn more about the eligibility and application for this reduction please visit our Council Tax: Help for carers page.

Useful links

GOV.UK- Benefits and financial support if you're disabled or have a health condition.

Credu- Financial and Legal Help.

Citizens Advice Powys, Telephone 0345 6018421