Toggle mobile menu visibility

Support for hearing loss

If you are deaf or have a hearing issue that affects your day-to day life, there is help available. Powys Sensory Team can help adults of Powys with a hearing loss to live as independently as possible.

A new text service for adults who are Deaf or experiencing hearing loss is now live. 
Adults in Powys who are Deaf or have hearing loss can now contact the council for information and advice for adult care and support by texting the ASSIST team on 07883 307 622. 
The team will reply with information on such as assessments, assistive technology, and signpost to voluntary groups and clinics.

ASSIST Text Line Poster (PDF) [621KB]

What sort of help is there for hearing loss?

We employ specialist workers for people who are deaf or hard of hearing and we can assess your need for information, support, counselling, and equipment.

We have a small budget to provide communication support such as sign language interpreters, speech to text facilities and lip speakers for people who need access to social care services.

Equipment for your home

The Social Services department can gift equipment to help you be independent at home. For example:

  • flashing light doorbells
  • personal television amplifiers: enable people with hearing problems to adjust the volume of the television through headphones without disturbing other people.
  • domestic loop systems:  amplifiers can be used with hearing aids that have a loop receiver.
  • text telephones.
  • alarm clocks with a flashing light or a vibrating disc.
  • visual alarms for deaf parents/carers.

Ask for an assessment Make a referral for care services

Watch these pages in 'British Sign Language'

The following pages can also be viewed in 'British Sign Language':

Just look out for this sign:  

Sign Language icon


  • Email:
  • Phone: 0345 602 7050
  • Address: ASSIST (Adult Social Care), Powys County Hall, Spa Road East, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5LG

Feedback about a page here