Getting Married Abroad

If you're a British subject and plan to get married abroad, you should first of all contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country concerned and check what their legal requirements are. It is your responsibility to make sure that you are meeting the legal requirements of that country.

You may need to get a 'Certificate of No Impediment'. To get this, you'll need to give notice in the usual way and the Certificate of No Impediment will be issued at the end of the waiting period.  Some countries may need a translation of the document or for it to be authenticated.  You can learn more from the Government website.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon