NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Search and view the Commons Register


You can view the statutory Registers and Register Maps, free of charge, during normal office hours.

A prior appointment is necessary to ensure that an Officer is on hand to help you with your enquiry.

The Registers and Maps are held at our offices at The Gwalia, Llandrindod Wells.


Fees and Charges

For information about official searches of the Commons Register, please see the information about Commons Registration searches.

  • A4/A3 extract from the Map Register - minimum £6.00
  • Copies of Register Information - minimum £6.00
  • Investigation of Register Information - minimum £20.00 + VAT

Please submit your request in writing and enclose a plan to identify the land concerned. Payments can be made by cheque or by Credit/Debit card over the telephone.


Montgomeryshire - MCL 13Registers of Common Land and Town or Village Greens

The Council is responsible for maintaining a Register of Common Land and a Register of Town or Village Greens and currently holds the registers compiled by the three former counties of Breconshire, Radnorshire and Montgomeryshire.


The registers were compiled, under the Commons Registration Act 1965, between 1967 and 1970 and contain information about all the registered common land and village greens in Powys.

Every area of registered land is listed in the registers under a unique Unit (CL or VG) Number. The registers also show if there are any rights of common over the land and record details of claims to ownership.

We can give information about procedures but we can't give legal advice. If you need legal advice or an interpretation of the law, a solicitor will be able to help.


Commons Registration Search - Q22 - CON29(O)

To make an official search of the commons registers, you will need to use Question 22.1 and 22.2 in the widely-used conveyancing form, known as 'CON 29(O) Optional Enquiries of the Local Authority'.

Question 22.1 reads: "Is the property, or any land which abuts the property, registered common land or town or village green under the Commons Registration Act 1965 or Commons Act 2006?"

A CON29(O) commons search enquiry only shows whether a parcel of land or property is registered as common land or as town or village green in the Official Registers. If you want to know whether a parcel of land or property has the benefit of grazing rights over any adjoining or nearby common land please contact Commons Registration for details. Please note that there will be a fee for copies of register entries and maps.

For more information, please see the Land Charges Search pages




Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon