Free school meals and help with school clothing
If you are on a low income, we can help you with the cost of school meals for any pupil in full time education.
Free School Meals
If you register for free school meals, even if your child decides never to have a school lunch, you can:
- Save up to £400 a year for each primary school child
- Help your school and other schools in Powys to benefit from funding because you have registered
- Registering for Free School Meals might also qualify you for other help and assistance.
To register is easy and confidential. You don't have to tell the school.
If your child decides to have the school meal on any day they just have the meal provided. Powys schools have systems which mean it is impossible for other pupils to know who is receiving free school meals.
Who can get free meals?
To get free meals in Powys schools, the parents/carers must get one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- If you are an Asylum Seeker getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act.
- State Pension Guaranteed Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance - Income based
- Child Tax Credit - as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less.
Universal Credit - as long as your annual net earnings are £7400 or less
You can also get free school meals if you are entitled to a Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.
How to register
- If you already get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you don't need to fill in a form. Just contact us and we will do the rest.
- If you're going to apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, we can sort out free school meals at the same time.
- You can also just register for free school meals by completing the simple form below online and clicking submit
Pupil Development Grant - Access
We apologise that there has been a delay in the grants being awarded, however we are working on the grants at present. Letters and any payment due will be issued shortly.
If your child is eligible for free school meals, you may qualify for a Pupil Development Grant - Access in the following situations:
- When the child enters year 7 in Secondary School
- When the child enters year 10 in Secondary School
- When the child enters Reception class in Primary School
- When the child enters year 3 in Primary School
- When the child is aged 4 or 11 in a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit
Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in year 7. Eligible learners in year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
If you are already in receipt of free school meals you do not need to apply for the grant
Powys staff will check all current free school meal awards to establish if each child is eligible for the grant payment. New free school meal applications will also be checked for grant eligibility.
Not every child receiving free school meals is eligible for the grant.
The grant is payable to help with the cost of school uniform, equipment, sports kit and kit for activities outside of school.
If your child doesn't currently get free school meals, please fill in and return the application form.
If your child is transferring to a school outside Powys, please apply to the authority that maintains the school.