Free school meals and help with school clothing
Dedicated Covid-19 Helpline for Powys residents and businesses.
Telephone number 01597 826345 Open 9am - 1pm
Find out about Grants and Reliefs, Benefits and Awards, Managing your Money and Debt Advice, and other help and support.
Financial support is being provided to business affected by the firebreak action.
We are waiting final guidance from Welsh Government as to the details of the schemes that will be put in place. Where possible payments will be made automatically. Powys businesses are asked not to contact the county council at this stage but to give us time to work up the arrangements. Information will be publicised as soon as it is available.
If you are on a low income, we can help you with the cost of school meals for any pupil in full time education.
Free School Meals
If you register for free school meals, even if your child decides not to have a school lunch, you can:
- Save up to £400 a year for each primary school child
- Help your school and other schools in Powys to benefit from funding because you have registered
- Registering for Free School Meals might also qualify you for other help and assistance.
To register is easy and confidential. You don't have to tell the school.
If your child decides to have the school meal on any day they just have the meal provided. Powys schools have systems which mean it is impossible for other pupils to know who is receiving free school meals.
Who can get free meals?
To get free meals in Powys schools, the parents/carers must get one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- If you are an Asylum Seeker getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act.
- State Pension Guaranteed Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance - Income based
- Child Tax Credit - as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less.
Universal Credit - as long as your annual net earnings are £7400 or less
You can also get free school meals if you are entitled to a Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.
How to register
- If you already get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you don't need to fill in a form. Just contact us and we will do the rest.
- If you're going to apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, we can sort out free school meals at the same time.
- You can also just register for free school meals by completing the simple form below online and clicking submit
Pupil Development Grant - Access
We will be writing to all eligible learners. If you have received a letter from us, please compete the application form below.
Children eligible for free school meals can get a Welsh Government Grant when they are entering:
- Reception class of a primary school in September 2020
- Year 3 of primary school in September 2020
- Year 7 of a secondary school in September 2020
- Year 10 of a secondary school in September 2020
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or 11 in September 2020
Learners in the category below will also qualify for £125 per child.
- Looked after children of compulsory school age but they must attend school in Powys.
- Elective Home Education learners
Primary and Secondary school children are entitled to £125 for each qualifying child.
Qualifying Children entering Year 7 can receive up to £200 to help with additional costs of starting secondary school.
If you are already in receipt of free school meals you do not need to apply for the grant.
Powys staff will check all current free school meal awards to establish if each child is eligible for the grant payment. New free school meal applications will also be checked for grant eligibility.
Not every child receiving free school meals is eligible for the grant.
If your child is transferring to a school outside Powys, please apply to the authority that maintains the school.
We will be writing to all eligible learners. If you have received a letter from us, the form will be available shortly.
If you think you may be eligible for Free School Meals, but are not currently claiming, please complete a free school meal application form here.
For further enquiries please call 01597827462 (please note we will not take bank details over the phone)
The fund will cover school uniform, other clothing worn at school such as sports kits, equipment for out-of-school-hours trips (including outdoor learning) and equipment for activities within the curriculum such as design and technology.