NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Fireworks and explosives licences

fireworks If you make or store explosives you need to either register or apply for a licence, depending on how much explosive is involved.

Register or licence by weight

Registration allows for smaller quantities of explosives to be stored (up to 250kg, depending on the hazard type). This weight is the net weight of the explosive inside the item (NEQ), not the gross weight of the item itself.

For more than 250kg of explosives, more hazardous explosive types and for all manufacturing processes, you need to get a licence. We only issue licences for storage - licences for manufacture are issued by the Health and Safety Executive. Some materials, for example, blasting explosive or black powder, require an explosives certificate and you can get this from Dyfed Powys Police.

Amounts that don't need to be registered

If you store less than 5kg of explosives that don't need an explosives certificate or less than 15kg of small arms ammunition, then you don't need to be registered or licensed. Certain exemptions apply to the short term storage of fireworks; please contact Trading Standards for more information.

Storing between 5kg and 250kg

If you wish to store between 5kg and 250kg (NEQ) you need an explosive registration certificate.

Storing over 250kg

If you wish to keep between 250kg and 2,000kg (NEQ) you need an explosive storage licence. If you wish to store over 2000kg you will need to contact the Health and Safety Executive. Explosives stored at quarries and similar premises are controlled by the police.

How and when to apply

Registrations and licences are valid for up to 5 years; you will need to pay a fee, depending upon the amount of explosives stored. Different fees apply for renewals and variations or transfers.

You will also need to apply for a separate (additional) fireworks licence if you want to supply fireworks outside the following periods:

  1. the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately before
  2. the day of Diwali and the three days immediately before
  3. between 15 October and 10 November; or between 26 December and 31 December.

A fireworks licence is valid for one year.


Application forms

You can get an application form from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for a licence or registration.

Licence fees and charges


  • Email:
  • 0345: 0345 6027030
  • North Powys Address: Trading Standards - Business Advice, Neuadd Maldwyn, Severn Road, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 7AS
  • South Powys Address: Trading Standards - Business Advice, Neuadd Brycheiniog, Cambrian Way, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7HR
  • Mid Powys Address: Trading Standards - Business Advice, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA

Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon