Pet shop licences
To run a pet shop that sells animals, you will need a licence. You can't apply for a pet shop licence if you've previously been banned from keeping a pet shop.
What we will check
To grant a licence, we will need proof that:
- animals will be kept somewhere that is clean, the right temperature and size for them, with the right sort of ventilation and lighting
- animals will be given enough to eat and drink and will be visited regularly
- animals will not be sold too young
- steps are taken to stop disease from spreading between the animals
- you have fire and emergency plans in place.
If you are refused a licence or are not happy with a condition of your licence, you can appeal to the Magistrate's court.
Fill in an application online using the links below. The links take you to another government website.
You can also get an application form from us using the contact details on this page. Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.
You will be charged a fee for this licence.