NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Pet shop licences

Hamster - pet shop licences

To run a pet shop that sells animals, you will need a licence. You can't apply for a pet shop licence if you've previously been banned from keeping a pet shop.

What we will check

To grant a licence, we will need proof that:

  • animals will be kept somewhere that is clean, the right temperature and size for them, with the right sort of ventilation and lighting
  • animals will be given enough to eat and drink and will be visited regularly
  • animals will not be sold too young
  • steps are taken to stop disease from spreading between the animals
  • you have fire and emergency plans in place.



If you are refused a licence or are not happy with a condition of your licence, you can appeal to the Magistrate's court.


Fill in an application online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a pet shop licence

Apply to change a pet shop licence

You can also get an application form from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.

Licence fees and charges



  • Email:
  • Phone: 0345 6027030
  • Address for North Powys: Trading Standards - Animal Health and Movement, The Park, Newtown, Powys, SY16, 2NZ
  • Address for South Powys: Trading Standards - Animal Health and Movement Neuadd Brycheiniog, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7HR


Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon