NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Scrap metal dealer licences

If you run a business dealing in scrap metal you'll need a licence.  There are two different licences. If you trade from a fixed location in Powys you'll need a Scrap Metal Dealer's Site Licence. If you deal scrap metal without using a specific site, and collect scrap metal door to door, you'll need a Collector's Licence.

You'll need a licence to buy or sell any scrap metal you collect.  Even if you get the material free of charge, you can't sell it on without a licence. You'll need a collector's licence from each of the local authorities that you collect in.

Anyone who takes scrap to a licensed site will need to take formal ID with them (e.g. passport or photo card driving licence) and dealers must ask to see it


How to apply

To apply, please complete the application form and send it to us, using the contact details on this page, with the correct fee.

We will also need to see

  • Basic criminal record from Disclosure Scotland
  • Photographic ID e.g. photo card driving licence or passport
  • Proof of address e.g. utility bill, bank statement

We will consult the police, Natural Resource Wales, and the Environmental Health department about all applications.

Payments can only be made by non-transferable cheque or electronic transfer.   We can no longer accept cash payments.


Application form

Apply online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for registration as a scrap metal dealer

Tell us about a change to your existing registration as a scrap metal dealer

You will be charged a fee for this licence.


Appeals & complaints

If you're unhappy with a decision we make, please contact us.

If you have a complaint about a business that trades in scrap metal, please contact your local office using the details on this page.




Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon