NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Sex establishment licences

To run a sex shop - any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you will need a licence from us. However, you may ask us to waive the requirement for a licence.


Who can apply

An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a  corporate organisation, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.


How to apply

Apply online or ask us for an application form. 

The printed application form can be used to apply for a licence or to ask for a transfer or renewal.  You should send a copy to the police within 7 days of making the application.

You must also give public notice of the application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.  This must be published within 7 days of making the application.  If the application relates to a premise, notice of the application must be displayed for 21 days on or near the premises where it can be easily read by the public.  The notice, the form of which is set out by the council, must contain certain information.

Licence holders may at any time apply to the authority for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If you haven't heard from us within 14 calendar days of submitting your request, please contact us using the contact details on this page.


Application forms

Apply online using the links below.  The links take you to another government website.

Apply for a sex shop and cinema licence

Change a sex shop and cinema licence

You can also get an application form from us using the contact details on this page.  Please complete the form and return it with the fee to the area licensing office.

You will be charged a fee for this licence.


Anyone who objects to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence should make their objection in writing, explaining why they object, within 28 days of the date of the application.

It is in the public interest that Powys County Council must process an application before it can be granted.



If you're unhappy about our decision, please contact us before making an appeal.

Anyone who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, may appeal to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of the refusal.

However, you can't appeal if  the licence was refused because:

  • there are more sex establishments in the area than the council thinks appropriate
  • a licence is inappropriate to the character of the area, other premises in the area, or the premises themselves.

You can appeal against a condition to a magistrates' court.  If an application for a variation is refused, or the licence is revoked, you can appeal to the local magistrates' court within 21 days of being notified.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.


Consumer complaint

If you have a complaint about a sex establishment, please contact your local office using the details on this page.





Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon