NOTICE: Implementation - £500 payment for care workers
Read more

What type of noise problems can the council deal with?

The Environmental Health Service have legal powers to deal with noise problems and can deal with noise complaints from:

  • Domestic sources, e.g. barking dogs, amplified music, DIY noise.
  • Industrial sources, e.g. noisy fans, generators.
  • Commercial sources, e.g. noise from entertainment venues.
  • Construction sites, e.g. noise from building/demolition works.
  • Certain noise in streets from vehicles, loudspeakers, machinery and equipment.
  • Intruder alarms sounding for more than 20 minutes or going off on a regular basis

As well as dealing with complaints about noise we also do a lot of preventative work to stop noise pollution occurring, including:

  • Assessment of the impact of noise of new developments under the Planning process.
  • Consultation on Licensing Act 2003 applications and variations to prevent public nuisance.
  • Prior Consent for Construction/Demolition works.
  • Educational campaigns e.g. Noise Action Day

Are there alternatives to making a complaint about noise?

Noise problems are often best resolved by having a chat with the neighbour concerned. It may be that they don't know that they are causing you a problem. If you let them know that the noise is bothering you, they have an opportunity to deal with the noise without you needing to make a formal complaint.

There may be occasions when you don't want to approach a neighbour directly and if so, you can make a complaint about noise nuisance to the council.



  • Email:
  • Phone: 01597 827467
  • Address: Environmental Health, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA

This service offers a callback facility.


Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon