What type of noise problems can the council deal with?

The Environmental Health Service have legal powers to deal with noise problems and can deal with noise complaints from:

  • Domestic sources, e.g. barking dogs, amplified music, DIY noise.
  • Industrial sources, e.g. noisy fans, generators.
  • Commercial sources, e.g. noise from entertainment venues.
  • Construction sites, e.g. noise from building/demolition works.
  • Certain noise in streets from vehicles, loudspeakers, machinery and equipment.
  • Intruder alarms sounding for more than 20 minutes or going off on a regular basis

As well as dealing with complaints about noise we also do a lot of preventative work to stop noise pollution occurring, including:

  • Assessment of the impact of noise of new developments under the Planning process.
  • Consultation on Licensing Act 2003 applications and variations to prevent public nuisance.
  • Prior Consent for Construction/Demolition works.
  • Educational campaigns e.g. Noise Action Day

Are there alternatives to making a complaint about noise?

Noise problems are often best resolved by having a chat with the neighbour concerned. It may be that they don't know that they are causing you a problem. If you let them know that the noise is bothering you, they have an opportunity to deal with the noise without you needing to make a formal complaint.

There may be occasions when you don't want to approach a neighbour directly and if so, you can make a complaint about noise nuisance to the council.



  • Email: public.protection@powys.gov.uk
  • Phone: 01597 827467
  • Address: Environmental Health, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA

This service offers a callback facility.


Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon