Toggle mobile menu visibility

View full notice

Notice: Do you need help with your benefits?

Become a registered childminder


Become a registered childminder
12 steps to becoming a childminder

  1. Contact the Childcare Business Support Team to arrange and attend a FREE virtual briefing session (short information session).
  2. Write to your landlord to ask for permission to run a business from your home if you are in a rented property
  3. Following attendance at the briefing confirm that you would like to register to complete the childminding qualification. Register with the training provider and complete assessments.
  4. Draw up policies and procedures as you will need to include these in your registration application. Powys' Childcare Business Support Team have sample policies for you to adapt.
  5. Complete application for an enhanced DBS check for all members of your household over the age of 16.
  6. Read the National Minimum Standard guidelines from CIW and complete your registration online
  7. Book a Paediatric First Aid Course (12 hours) and Food Hygiene course. We would also recommend you attend a Child Protection course.
  8. Check your house from the view of a small child and make adaptations as necessary - e.g. pad sharp corners and fit child-proof locks on cabinets.
  9. Contact Powys' Childcare Business Support Team for suggested membership and insurance companies. Check your vehicle and house insurance. You will require business use on your car insurance.
  10. Work out a budget and buy the equipment you will need.
  11. CIW will contact you to arrange a pre-registration visit; once you have completed all their recommendations you will then be registered.
  12. Contact the tax office and HMRC to register as self-employed. The Childcare Business Support Team will continue to support you and offer guidance and advice with any issues you may have.

If you want or need more information you can contact Powys' Childcare Business Support Team.

Working in Childcare

New resources about working in childcare are available from Social Care Wales

More information from Social Care Wales about work experience in Social Care and Early Years can be found on their website.


Getting Started

Become a registered childminder
The CIW have produced an information pack on becoming a registered childminder.  They have guidance on the registration process as well as information on regulations and national minimum standards.

If you are interested in becoming a childcare provider the Childminding Recruitment/Support Officer at Powys' Childcare Business Support Team can help you find advice and support.


Become a registered childminder

There is an E-Learning package from HM Revenue & Customs which covers subjects including:

  • Starting a business
  • Registering your self employment
  • What records should I keep?
  • What can I claim against my income?

The package is designed to be convenient to use - you don't have to do it all at once.



Feedback about a page here