Ask for personal data held by the council

Any processing of personal data of living people that began on or after 24 October 1998 comes under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. For more information please go to the Information Commissioner's website.


Making a request under the Data Protection Act

If you want to find out what information we hold about you, you'll need to fill in a Subject Access Request form [48KB]


What does the Act cover?

The Act covers data held about you on a computer system and any filing systems and accessible records such as card index systems, microfiche records, and personnel records.

If any organisation is holding data about you, you have the right to be told about it, and to be given a copy of that information along with any entry codes to access it.

You also have the right to be told why information is being held on you, and what sort of decisions are made using that information (though not necessarily the results of those decisions). You can also object to direct marketing and to other processing of the data.

The Data Protection Act 1998 gave people greater rights to control access to their data. It replaced an earlier 1984 Act.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon