1. Login / Register
  2. Cymraeg
Close Icon
  1. Login / Register
Notice: NEW - Did you know you can now view your Rent Account balance online
Read more

Commercial Vehicle or Trailer (CVT) Permit Policy


1. Introduction


Householders with commercial vehicles or trailers (including hire and works vehicles) will require a CVT Permit in order to access the Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) in Powys.


The CVT Permit scheme is designed to provide householders with commercial type vehicles or trailers access to the sites while allowing the Council to tackle the illegal disposal of business waste which would otherwise cost the council and ultimately the tax payer. The CVT Permit will also provide the Council with some control over the quantity of waste that is delivered to these sites.


2. The Commercial Vehicle or Trailer (CVT) Permit


CVT Permits are available FREE of charge to residents of Powys wishing to take their own household waste to a HWRC.


Residents are able to apply for CVT Permits from September 1st 2017 which will allow them to deposit household recycling and/or waste at any of the Councils five HWRCs in vehicles or trailers that are considered commercial (see 3.2 below).


The vehicle must be registered to the resident making the application and to an address in Powys. Company/works vehicles can be registered to an address outside of the County but the applicant must be a resident of Powys.


Residents will be required to provide copies of proof of address and their V5 document with their application form, as proof that the vehicle is not owned for commercial purposes.


Access in commercial vehicles will not be permitted until the resident receives their CVT Permits from the Council - access will not be granted on applications only.


Applications are to be made per household and can include one commercial vehicle or trailer registration per domestic address.


Residents will be provided with twelve individual 'CVT Permits', allowing a total of twelve visits to a HWRC per household per annum.


Residents can only apply for one set of CVT Permits (12 visits) per 12 month period. The CVT Permits will not have an expiry date but additional CVT permits will only be provided once the twelve issued Permits have been used.


The CVT Permit will be registration specific, only the registration stated on the documentation will be allowed access to the HWRCs.


Applications for permits for trailers will need to be accompanied by the V5 of the authorised vehicle (see section 3.1) that will be towing the trailer.


A CVT Permit must be presented to site staff on each visit to a HWRC and will be retained on site. Access will not be granted to residents who do not provide a valid CVT Permit on arrival. If a resident visits the site more than once in one day, each visit will be counted separately and one CVT Permit will be required per visit.


Permits are not site specific.


The CVT Permit will not allow commercial waste to be brought into the HWRCs. If site attendants suspect that waste is of commercial origin they are within their rights to prevent the site user from depositing that material. Site staff will pass details of the CVT Permit holder to the Council's Awareness and Enforcement team for further investigation.


Should vehicle details change then any previously issued CVT Permits must be returned before replacements will be provided. This will be on a like for like number basis. For example, if a request is made to change a registration number where six visits have been made then the replacement will consist of six CVT Permits.


If a householder sells a vehicle the Permits must not be passed to the new owner, they must be returned to the Council. The new owner would need to make their own application.


3. What vehicles will/will not require a CVT Permits?


Permits will not be required for the following authorised vehicles:

  • Cars
  • SUVs
  • Land rovers with rear seats and windows
  • People carriers
  • Caravanettes
  • Camper vans
  • Trailers up to 1.4m* in length and towed by any of the above



Permits will be required for:

  • Sign written cars (with the exception of courtesy cars and taxis)
  • All hire and company vehicles
  • Trailers towed by an authorised vehicle (listed above) over 1.4m* in length and up to 2.4m*
  • Small vans and short wheeled based transit vans
  • All picks ups (to include land rovers with no rear seats or windows), up to 3.5 tonne legal gross weight



The vehicles listed below are not eligible to use the HWRCs (with or without a Permit): 

  • Any vehicle exceeding 3.5 tonnes legal gross weight
  • Trailers over 2.4m* in length
  • Flat bed and Tipper vehicles
  • Any van other than short wheelbase
  • Mini buses
  • Luton box vans
  • Agricultural vehicles to include tractors, horseboxes and stock trailers

*The length of the trailer refers to the useable space of the bed of the trailer, excluding the hitch.


4. Hire vehicles


Vans hired by a householder to deposit their own household waste, may apply for a Single Use Permit.


The householder will be required to provide a copy of the vehicle hire agreement with their application as well as proof of address.


All vehicle restrictions listed under Section 3 apply i.e. if the vehicle does not meet the vehicle sizing/type requirements it will not be allowed access into the HWRC.


Hire vehicles will be issued with single use CVT Permits. These will be limited to three occasions per domestic address per annum.


5. Using a company/works vehicle


Residents in Powys may use their employer's commercial vehicle (subject to the vehicle complying with Section 3 above) to deposit their own household waste at HWRCs in the County.


The application will need to include a copy of the proof of address as well as written permission detailing the vehicle from the employer (on company headed paper).


CVT Permits for company/works vehicles will not be provided in addition to any other CVT Permit registered to that domestic address.


Company/works vehicles will be issued with single use CVT Permits. These will be limited to three occasions per domestic address per annum.


6. The application process


The application process will be available to residents from 1st September 2017.


CVT Permit requests can be completed via:

  • An online form on the Council website which will require a scanned copy of the documents listed in Section 2, 4 and 5 above to be attached to the application
  • Downloading and printing the form from the Council website and returning this by post, with hard copies of the documents listed in Section 2, 4 and 5 above
  • Requesting a copy of the application form from any one of the HWRCs


Residents will be required to provide the following information as part of the application process:

  • Full name and address
  • Telephone number
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Vehicle make and model
  • Details of wording if the vehicle is sign written
  • Copy of proof of address, copy of the V5, hire agreement and/or letter from the employer as necessary


7. Household Waste Recycling Centres - Household Waste Declaration Forms


CVT Permits provide residents with commercial vehicles and trailers permission to enter the HWRCs, they are not Permits to deposit any type of waste. Any material (types & quantities) brought into sites will be subject to Powys County Councils HWRC Contract.


The Household Waste Declaration Forms will continue to be used at the HWRCs in Powys. Where site staff suspect that a resident may be delivering commercial waste to a HWRC they will ask the individual to complete a Household Waste Declaration Form to verify that the waste is from their own household. Copies of these forms will be forwarded to the Council for monitoring purposes and further investigation as required.


8. Administration of the CVT Permit scheme


The CVT Permit scheme will be administered by the Council.


All CVT Permit applications will be recorded and information monitored by the Council.


All Household Waste Declaration Forms will be retained and the information recorded and monitored by the Council.


If a resident loses their CVT Permits the Council will provide replacements on a like for like number basis.


If a resident changes their address then they must inform the Council so that their details can be updated on the system. Replacement Permits will not be required for a change of address.


If a resident changes their vehicle and no longer requires CVT Permits they must inform the Council and return any unused CVT Permits. CVT Permits must not be passed to the new vehicle owner.


If a resident changes their Commercial Vehicle they must inform the Council and apply for new CVT Permits. Their details will be updated and new CVT Permits issued on a like for like number basis in any twelve month period.


All used CVT permits will be recorded by the Council to ensure that they are used legitimately. Additional permits will only be issued after all twelve CVT permits are used. An application for a new allocation of twelve CVT permits can only be made once, per twelve month period.


The staff on the Councils HWRCs have the right to prevent access to any resident with a permit who they suspect is contravening any part of the CVT Permit policy.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon